Founded by Yvon Chouinard in 1973, Patagonia is an outdoor apparel company based in Ventura, California.
Job Title: Product Developer
Reports to: Manager of Product Development
Location: Ventura, CA
The Product Developer manages and drives the creation process by transforming a designer’s sketch or two-dimensional rendering into a commercially viable product. Product developers engage in idea generation, material selection, construction, material sourcing and product testing. They are skilled at costing and provide costing updates for their respective categories during the development phase. They are responsible for managing communication directly with factories to create prototypes, test new applications and refine the product’s construction and fit. They are adept at partnerships, working closely with cross functional peers in Line Management, Design, Manufacturing and others across the company.The position requires extensive knowledge of apparel construction, product end use, fit and garment costing. The Developer supports product categories and reports performance metrics to the management team. Performance metrics include product execution to corporate calendar and financial performance to the revenue plan.
Essential Job Functions
- Comprehensive technical understanding and knowledge of garment construction, technical fit and development process
- Ability to identify materials and construction technology that supports designer’s vision and product requirements
- Partner with Production team and Manager of Development to determine the sourcing strategy for the season.
- Lead calendar process for their products including costing, quality evaluation, testing and prototype approvals.
- Direct development process to achieve commercial viability of designs through collaboration with Fabric Sourcing, Design, Trim Development, Purchasing, Costing and Quality departments.
- Manage field and lab testing of products in collaboration with Quality and Field Testing.
- Produce accurate product specifications and ensure they are maintained and distributed effectively.
- Develop and maintain accurate style specification database information that result in efficient raw material purchasing.
- Manage and ensure each prototypes and sale sample are delivered in timely delivery approvals to ensure Patagonia quality standards as well as on time deliveries.
- Coordinate all factory communication for the development of proto-types.
Establishing timeline of raw material management, and approval requirements.
- Responsible for execution of technical fit instructing manufacturer on necessary
changes to influence correct fit execution.
- Collaborates with factories to achieve ‘state of the art’ opportunities for product innovation.
- Support the sourcing and training of new factory resources.
- Lead product team meetings.
- Ensure company standards for quality, function and reducing environmental impacts are met.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Degree in a related field [Product Development, Apparel / Textile Design, Technology, Merchandising, Engineering].
- 4+ years’ experience in product development or production and merchandising.
- Knowledge of apparel construction, material construction and properties, pattern making, costing, embroidery and surface applications (e.g. screen printing, etc).
- Excellent skills in creating construction specifications in Illustrator or in design.
- Good understanding of the design, development and merchandising process from inception through production.
- Ability to interpret design intent and offer alternative solutions.
- Ability to be a technical resource to others.
- Proven skill at problem solving and product innovation.
- Proven performance history with domestic and offshore vendors and manufacturers.
- Working knowledge of personal computers with experience in such programs as Adobe Illustrator, Excel and Microsoft office.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including presentations.
- Extreme attention to detail.
- Ability to write product specs.
- Knowledge of garment fit and the ability to instruct a manufacturer on necessary changes to a pattern to influence the fit.
- Able to manage multiple priorities, meet deadlines.
- Ability to look at a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanor within a flexible and (at times noisy) work environment.
- Must be able to travel internationally and domestically utilizing various transportation
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Posted by StartWire
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.startwire.com/express_apply_jobs/MjEyNF80NjgyY2Q4ZDIxYzEzOGRmYmRkYjJhNzFjYzVhZWEzN19sdXVhX2k= →