Our first store opened on January 2nd, 1980 in Anaheim CA and since then we have grown to 40 stores in three counties: Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego.
Come join our team in our corporate offices in Anaheim CA! We are currently looking for a Category Manager in our Meat Department! To learn more about our company, please visit www.northgatemarkets.com
This position has responsibility for the merchandising, marketing and financial objectives established for their assigned product categories (in this case meat, proteins, packaged goods, etc.) through building and maximizing an optimized plan for price, promotion, placement, assortment, sourcing strategies and the tactics to achieve them. *Ideal candidate will have meat experience and/or perishables experience. Biligual Spanish a must.*
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Analyzes category performance across a variety of indicators – sales, gross profit, mark-down, and market share and develops annual category plans based on a thorough understanding of the category, consumer, and the marketplace.
- Develops and executes strategic plans to support category sales and margin goals. Manages assortment for best use of space and ability to meet consumer needs.
- Ensures margin targets are met while preserving our competitive pricing position and strategies.
- Develops and executes promotional plans for each category to drive sales and support margin goals.
- Responsible for the procurement and buying activities of assigned products and for building and maintaining collaborative relationships with suppliers.
- Monitors raw materials and other product costs to ensure best vendor pricing and ability to manage retail prices effectively.
- Applies understanding of cost drivers along with negotiating skills to effectively negotiate the best costs with suppliers.
- Supports replenishment function when required to ensure product availability, consistency of supply and service level objectives and applies cost-of-goods insights to drive increased efficiency.
- Reviews and recommends new products, quality, grades and the number of items carried. Responsible for size of product inventory and rate of turnover.
- Understands our customer and the market trends in food and develops category plans to drive increased sales performance.
- Monitors the performance of categories regularly and achieves financial and other planned objectives.
- Monitors and reports supplier performance with regard to price, quality, assortment and service. Frequency of review is driven by category review schedule and category role basis.
- Collects all funds available to achieve or exceed gross margin targets.
- Follows guidelines defined by the Category Role Strategic Guidelines relative to pricing, assortment, plan-o-grams.
- Develops regular communications to stores regarding planning, execution, feedback and results. Partners with Operations, Field Merchandising and the R&D Teams as applicable on the best training and execution plans to ensure optimal sales, profits and customer service levels.
- Assesses competitive retailers to understand their strengths and weaknesses and identify opportunities and threats; including retailers in other trade channels.
- Identifies and develops new sourcing and procurement of products with the goal of enhancing assortments and driving sales.
- Supports and aids in sourcing and development of new products or product enhancements.
- Investigates and pursues new distribution opportunities to reduce the cost of goods.
- Integrates Private Label merchandising into the appropriate categories according to strategic direction defined by leadership.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS :
- College degree preferred
- 5-10 years of retail experience preferred
- 2-5 year’s experience with category management practice preferred
Physical Demands and Conditions
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Some requirements may be modified to accommodate individuals with disabilities:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; stand; and use the hands to handle, finger, or feel objects, tools or controls;
- The employee must frequently walk, talk or hear, and reach with the hands and arms; occasionally, the employee must crouch or kneel;
- The employee must occasionally exert or lift up to 40 pounds carrying boxes of records and forms and frequently exert or lift moderate amounts of weight;
- Successful performance requires specific vision abilities that include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- The job requires the ability to travel to store locations (Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego)
- The work environment is that typical of an office and retail store. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER NOTICE: The job duties, elements, responsibilities, skills, functions, experience, educational factors, and the requirements and conditions listed in this job description are representative only and not exhaustive of the tasks that an employee may be required to perform. The Employer reserves the right to revise this job description at any time and to require employees to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of its business or the work environment change.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/NOR1022/JobBoard/37ce85ca-4c8e-c4d0-b094-b909610bab2e/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=ff504645-48db-4789-a090-c8ea3ae0643f →